Ramachandra Tummala, MD
- Brain Cancer
- Stroke Care
- Neurosurgery Clinic
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Minnesota (Neurosurgery)
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital (Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Surgery); University of Buffalo, State University of New York (Neuroendovascular Surgery)
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of Miami, Fla.
University of Minnesota
Department of Neurosurgery
Mayo Mail Code 96
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
Dr. Tummala earned his medical degree from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and completed his residency in neurosurgery at the University of Minnesota. He finished two fellowships, one in Cerebrovascular/Skull Base Surgery at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital and another in Neuroendovascular Surgery at the University of Buffalo, NY.
In the News
- Every Sunrise Helps June Help Others...Dr. Tummala part of U of M team that helped parish nurse overcome sinus/brain tumors.
- More Neurosurgery Department News
- Measurement of intracerebral hematoma volumes in cadaveric brains, Departments of Neurology and Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, 2010 – 2011
- Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells into Dopaminergic Neurons, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, 2000 – 2001
- Apoptosis after in vitro Transfection of HIV GP-160, Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1997
- Colocalization of calmodulin and HIV gag protein, Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1995
- The Effects of Temperature on Hematological Parameters, United States Air Force Clinical Research Directorate, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, 1994
- Platelet Kinetics During in vitro Dialysis, Division of Nuclear Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1992.
- Kaplan Professorship in Cerebrovascular Surgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, 2007
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004
- Seljeskog Award for Outstanding Resident Publication, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, 2002
- National Science Scholar, United States Department of Education, 1991-1994
- Jagadeesan BD, Grigoryan M, Hassan AE, Grande AW, Tummala RP: Endovascular Balloon-Assisted Embolization of Intracranial and Cervical Arteriovenous Malformations Using Dual Lumen Co-axial Balloon Microcatheters and Onyx: Initial Experience. Neurosurgery 2013 (In press).
- Hassan AE, Akbar U, Chaudhry SA, Tekle WG, Tummala RP, Rodriguez GJ, Qureshi AI: Rate and Prognosis of Patients under Conscious Sedation Requiring Emergent Intubation during Neuroendovascular Procedures. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2013 (In press).
- Hassan AE, Zacharatos H, Rodriguez GJ, Suri MF, Tariq N, Vazquez G, Tummala RP, Qureshi AI: Long-term Clinical and Angiographic Outcomes in Patients with Spontaneous Cervico-Cranial Arterial Dissections Treated with Stent Placement. J Neuroimaging 22:384-393, 2012.
- Siddiq F, Chaudhry SA, Tummala RP, Suri MF, Qureshi AI: Factors and outcomes associated with early and delayed aneurysm treatment in subarachnoid hemorrhage patients in the United States. Neurosurgery 71:670-8, 2012.
- Hassan AE, Jadhav V, Zacharatos H, Chaudhry SA, Rodriguez GJ, Mohammad YM, Suri MF, Tariq N, Vazquez G, Tummala RP, Taylor RA, Qureshi AI: Determinants of neurologic deterioration and stroke-free survival after spontaneous cervicocranial dissections: A multicenter study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011
- Khatri R, Ansar M, Sultan F, Chaudhry SA, Khan AA, Rodriguez GJ, Tummala RP, Qureshi AI: Requirements for emergent neurosurgical procedures among patients undergoing neuroendovascular procedures in contemporary practice. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33(3):465-8, 2012.
- Tawk RG, Tummala RP, Memon MZ, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN, Levy EI: Utility of pharmacological provocative neurological testing before embolization of occipital lobe arteriovenous malformations. World Neurosurg 76:276-281, 2011.
- Seibert B, Tummala RP, Chow R, Faridar A, Mousavi SA, Divani AA: Intracranial aneurysms: review of current treatment options and outcomes. Front Neurol 2:45, 2011.
- Khatri R, Rodriguez GJ, Siddiq F, Tummala RP: Early migration of a self expanding intracranial stent following the treatment of a basilar trunk aneurysm: Report of a second case. Neurosurgery 69:E513-515, 2011.
- Divani AA, Majidi S, Luo X, Souslian FG, Zhang J, Abosch A, Tummala RP: The ABCs of Accurate Volumetric Measurement of Cerebral Hematoma. Stroke 42:1569-1574, 2011.
- Miley JT, Tariq N, Souslian FG, Qureshi N, Suri MF, Tummala RP, Vazquez G, Qureshi AI: Comparison between angioplasty using compliant and non-compliant balloons for treatment of cerebral vasospasm associated with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery, 2011 (In press).
- Hassan AE, Zacharatos H, Vazquez G, Rodriguez GJ, Suri MF, Tummala RP, Taylor RA, Qureshi AI: Low risk of intracranial and systemic hemorrhages in patients on dual antiplatelet treatment beyond 1 month following neuroendovascular angioplasty and/or stent placement. J Neuroimaging, 2010 (In press).
- Khatri R, Memon MZ, Zacharatos H, Taqui AM, Qureshi MH, Vazquez G, Suri MF, Rodriguez GJ, Tummala RP, Ezzeddine MA, Qureshi AI: Impact of Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty for Treatment of Cerebral Vasospasm on Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Patient Outcomes. Neurocrit Care 15:28-33, 2011.
- Qureshi AI, Tariq N, Hassan AE, Vazquez G, Hussein HM, Suri MF, Georgiadis AL, Tummala RP, Taylor RA: Predictors and timing of neurological complications following intracranial angioplasty and/or stent placement. Neurosurgery 68:53-60, 2011.
- Hassan AE, Zacharatos H, Rodriguez GJ, Vazquez G, Miley JT, Tummala RP, Suri MF, Taylor RA, Qureshi AI: A comparison of computed tomography perfusion-guided and time-guided endovascular treatments for patients with acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 41:1673-1678, 2010.
- Suri MF, Tariq N, Siddiq F, Vazquez G, Taylor RA, Tummala RP, Wojak JC, Chaloupka JC, Qureshi AI: Intracranial angioplasty and/or stent placement in octogenarians is associated with a threefold greater risk of periprocedural stroke or death. J Endovasc Ther 17:314-319, 2010.
- Tummala RP, Qureshi AI: Is carotid artery stent placement a viable option for carotid artery stenosis in patients aged 80 years or greater? (Editorial) J Neuroimaging 20:109-110, 2010.
- Shah QA, Memon MZ, Suri MF, Rodriguez GJ, Kozak OS, Taylor RA, Tummala RP, Vazquez G, Georgiadis AL, Qureshi AI: Super-selective intraarterial magnesium sulfate in combination with nicardipine for the treatment of cerebral vasospasm in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care 11:190-198, 2009.
- Tummala RP, Qureshi AI: Thromboembolism and rebleeding paradox in stent assisted embolization for intracranial aneurysms (Editorial) J Neuroimaging (In press).
- Jahromi BS, Tummala RP, Levy EI: Inadvertent subclavian artery catheter placement complicated by stroke: Endovascular management and review. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 73:706-711, 2009.
- Tummala RP, Ecker RD, Levy EI: Variant of subclavian steal in the setting of ipsilateral common carotid artery occlusion: case report. J Neuroimaging 19:271-273, 2009.
- Chang FC, Tummala RP, Jahromi BS, Samuelson RM, Siddiqui AH, Levy EI, Hopkins LN: Use of the 8-French Simmons 2 guide catheter for carotid stenting in patients with difficult aortic arch anatomy: technical note. J Neurosurg 110:437-441, 2009.
- Shah Q, Tummala RP, Qureshi AI: Combined surgical and endovascular approach to treat symptomatic in-stent occlusion of the left common carotid artery origin: A technical report. J Neurosurg 110:935-938, 2009.
- Jahromi BS, Tummala RP, Yamamoto J, Levy EI, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN: Early Carotid Stenting for Symptomatic Stenosis and Intraluminal Thrombus Presenting with Stroke. Neurology 71:1831-1833, 2008.
- Miley JT, Taylor RA, Janardhan V, Tummala R, Lanzino G, Qureshi AI: The value of computed tomography angiography in determining treatment allocation for aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care 9:300-306, 2008.
- Tummala RP, Jahromi BS, Yamamoto J, Levy EI, Siddiqui AH, Hopkins LN: Carotid artery stenting under flow arrest for the management of intraluminal thrombus: technical report. Neurosurgery 63(1 Suppl 1):ONSE 87-88, 2008.
- Ionita CC, Yamamoto J, Tummala RP, Levy EI: MRI assessment followed by successful mechanical recanalization of a complete tandem (internal carotid/middle cerebral artery) occlusion and reversal of a 10-hour fixed deficit. J Neuroimaging 18:96-98, 2008.
- Ecker RD, Tummala RP, Levy EI, Hopkins LN: Internal cross-clamping” for symptomatic internal carotid artery thrombus: report of two cases. J Neurosurg 107:1223-1227, 2007
- Tummala RP, Sheth RN, Heros RC: Hemodilution and fluid management in neurosurgery. Clin Neurosurg 53:238-251, 2006.
- Wolfe SQ, Baskaya MK, Heros RC, Tummala RP: Cerebral aneurysms: learning from the past and looking toward the future. Clin Neurosurg 53:157-178, 2006.
- Tummala RP, Coscarella E, Morcos JJ: Transpetrosal approaches to the posterior fossa. Neurosurgical Focus 19(2):E6, 2005.
- Tummala RP, Sheth RN, Elhammady MS, Morcos JJ, and Heros RC: Surgical management of giant aneurysms of the middle cerebral artery. Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery 8: 85-92, 2005.
- Tummala RP, Coscarella E, Morcos JJ: Surgical anatomy of the jugular foramen. Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery 8:2-5, 2005.
- Coscarella E, Tummala RP, Morcos JJ: Infratemporal fossa approaches to the jugular foramen. Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery 8:25-30, 2005.
- Baskaya MK, Coscarella E, Tummala RP, Jea A, Heros RC: Surgical management of middle cerebral artery aneurysms: surgical anatomy, approaches, and pitfalls. Neurosurg Quarterly 15:201-210, 2005.
- Fu E, Tummala RP: Neuroprotection in brain and spinal cord trauma. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 18:181-187, 2005.
- Wolfe SQ, Tummala RP, Morcos JJ: Cerebral revascularization in skull base tumors. Skull Base 15:71-82, 2005.
- Tummala RP, Baskaya MK, Heros RC: Contemporary management of incidental intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurg Focus 18(1):E9, 2005.
- Tummala RP, Chu RC, Hall WA: Subdural emypema in children. Neurosurg Quarterly 14:257-264, 2004.
- Hall WA, Tummala RP, Chu RC: Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging-guided neurosurgery. Neurosurg Quarterly 13:234-250, 2003.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Liu H, Hall WA: Application of diffusion tensor imaging to magnetic resonance-guided brain tumor resection. Pediatr Neurosurg 39:39-43, 2003.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: Extracranial-intracranial bypass for symptomatic occlusive cerebrovascular disease not amenable to carotid endarterectomy. Neurosurg Focus 14(3):E8, 2003.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Liu H, Truwit CL, Hall WA: High-field functional capabilities for magnetic resonance imaging-guided brain tumor resection. Techniques in Neurosurgery 7:315-329, 2002.
- Chu RM, Tummala RP, Kucharcyzk J, Truwit CL, Maxwell RE: Minimally invasive procedures: Interventional MR image-guided functional neurosurgery. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 11:715-725, 2001.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Liu H, Truwit CL, Hall WA: Optimizing brain tumor resection: High-field interventional MR imaging. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 11:673-683, 2001.
- Tummala RP, Harrison A, Madison MT, Nussbaum ES: Pseudomyasthenia resulting from a posterior carotid artery wall aneurysm: A novel presentation. Neurosurgery 49:1466-1468, 2001.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Madison MT, Myers M, Tubman D, Nussbaum ES: Outcomes after aneurysm rupture during endovascular coil embolization. Neurosurgery 49:1059-1066, 2001.
- Nussbaum ES, Chu RM, Tummala RP: Cerebral revascularization other than carotid endarterectomy. Medlink Neurology, November 2001.
- Chu RM, Tummala RP, Hall WA: Focal intracranial infections due to Propionibacterium acnes. Neurosurgery 49:717-720, 2001.
- Radding W, Williams JP, McKenna MA, Tummala R, Hunter E, Tytler EM, McDonald JM: Calmodulin and HIV type 1: Interactions with gag and gag products. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 16:1519-1525, 2000.
- Cerfolio RJ, Tummala RP, Holman WL, Zorn GL, Kirklin JK, McGiffin DC, Naftel DC, Pacifico AD: A prospective algorithm for the management of air leaks after pulmonary resection. Ann Thorac Surg 66:1726-1731, 1998.
- Tummala RP, Baskaya MK, Heros RC: Posterior fossa arteriovenous malformations and cavernous angiomas, in Nanda A (ed), Principles of Posterior Fossa Surgery, New York, Thieme Medical Publishers, 2012, pp. 218-227.
- Tummala R, Yamamoto J, Sauvageau E, Hopkins LN: Endovascular Treatment of Posterior Fossa Aneurysms, in Nanda A (ed), Principles of Posterior Fossa Surgery, New York, Thieme Medical Publishers, 2012, pp. 197-208.
- Tummala RP and Souslian FG: Extracranial Arterial Disease, in Deschaies EM, Eddleman CS, Boulos AS (eds): Handbook of Neuroendovascular Surgery, New York, Thieme Medical Publishers, 2011.
- Tummala RP, Hopkins LN: Neurorescue during Carotid Artery Stenting, in Amor M, Bergeron P, Inglese L, Ischinger, Mathias K, Raithel D, Cheshire N, Mangialardi N (eds): Aspects of Supra aortic Vessels Angioplasty (Carotid, Subclavian, and Vertebral Arteries), MEET Book 2009.
- Tummala RP, Jahromi BS, Hopkins LN: Intracranial arterial disease (Chapter 23), in Dieter RA (ed): Peripheral Arterial Disease, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2009, pp 401-442.
- Yamamoto J, Ecker RD, Tummala RP, Sauvageau E, Levy EI, Hanel RA, Hopkins LN: Registries and Trials of Carotid Artery Stenting versus Carotid Endarterectomy (chapter 16), in Sangiorgi G, Holmes DR Jr, Rosenfield K, Hopkins LN, Spagnoli LG (eds): Carotid Atherosclerotic Disease: Pathologic Basis for Treatment. London, Informa UK Ltd, pp. 248-256, 2008.
- Sauvageau E, Ecker RD, Yamamoto J, Tummala RP, Levy EI, Hopkins LN: Endovascular treatment of extracranial carotid atherosclerotic disease (chapter 17), in Hurst RW, Rosenwasser RH (eds): Interventional Neuroradiology, New York , Informa Health Care, pages 311-323, 2008.
- Maxwell RE, Tummala RP: Temporal lobectomy and selective amygdalohippocampectomy, in Winn HR (ed): Youmans Neurological Surgery, fifth edition, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2004.
- Chu RM, Tummala RP, Partington MD: Neurosurgical considerations in achondroplasia and their management, in Loftus C, Batjer HH (eds): Textbook of Neurological Surgery: Principles and Practice, Lippincott, New York, 2003.
- Tummala RP: Appropriate and Inappropriate Use of Embolization for the Treatment of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas, presented at the World Federation of Neurological Societies XIV Congress of Neurosurgery, Boston, MA, August 31, 2009.
- Tummala RP, Samuelson R, Jahromi B, Yamamoto J, Levy EI, Siddiqui A, Guidot C, Hopkins LN: Complication Avoidance and Rescue Techniques for Carotid Stenting, presented at Multidisciplinary European Endovascular Therapy (MEET) Congress, Cannes, France, June 16, 2007
- Sethi KA, Chu RM, Tummala RP, Lam C: Craniosynostosis in the Perinatal Rat with the Use of Methyl-2-Cyanoacrylate: A Neuroanatomic Study, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Philadelphia, PA, September 2002.
- Nagib MG, Tummala RP, Chu RM, O’Fallon MT: Congenital Brain Tumors – A Single Center Experience, Neurosurgical Society of America, Charleston, SC, May 2002.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: Extracranial-Intracranial Bypass for Symptomatic Occlusive Cerebrovascular Disease not Amenable to Carotid Endarterectomy, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Dallas, TX, February 2002.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Madison MT, Nussbaum ES: Migration of Guglielmi Detachable Coils after Endovascular Treatment of Intracranial Aneurysms, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Dallas, TX, February 2002.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Levine SL, Nussbaum ES: The Combined Subtemporal, Presigmoid Transtentorial Approach to Skull Base Lesions, 13th Annual Meeting of the North American Skull Base Society, San Diego, CA, February 2002.
- Chu RM, Tummala RP, McCollow K, Lo SS, Cho K, Hall WA: Stereotactic Radiosurgery versus Conventional Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy for Vestibular Schwannomas, 13th Annual Meeting of the North American Skull Base Society, San Diego, CA, February 2002.
- Hall WA, Cho K, Tummala RP: Radiosurgery for Multiple Brain Metastases, American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, April 2001.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: Large and Giant Intracranial Aneurysms: Contemporary Management Using a Multimodality Approach, Minnesota Surgical Society, St. Paul, MN, March 2001.
- Cerfolio RJ, Tummala RP, Holman WL, Zorn GL, Pacifico AD: A Prospective Algorithm for the Management of Air Leaks after Pulmonary Resection, American College of Chest Physicians Annual Meeting, 1998.
Poster Presentations and Abstracts
- Tummala RP, Yamamoto J, Hopkins LN: Endovascular therapies – The next generation, Annual meeting of the American Neurological Association, 2006.
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: The Use of Dexmedetomidine as a Sedative in Cerebrovascular Patients, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Phoenix, AZ, February 2003
- Nussbaum ES, Sebring LA, Tummala RP, Madison MT: Microvascular Repair of an Injured Cortical Draining Vein: Technical Note, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Phoenix, AZ, February 2003
- Sebring LA, Nussbaum ES, Tummala RP: A Modified Retractor System for Anterior Cervical Exposure of the Vertebral Artery, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Phoenix, AZ, February 2003
- Tummala RP, Sethi KA, Chu RM, Flores EP: Treatment of Spinal Epidural Abscess – A Twelve-Year, Single-Center Experience and Review, Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, September 2002
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: Surgical Treatment of Previously Coiled Intracranial Aneurysms, American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2002
- Walski-Easton S, Tummala RP, Chu RM, Mendez A, Sebring LA, Nussbaum ES: Familial Moyamoya Disease in Caucasians, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Dallas, TX, February 2002
- Tummala RP, Chu RM, Nussbaum ES: The Role of Cerebrovascular Biomodeling in Neurosurgical Resident Education, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, Dallas, TX, February 2002
- Chu RM, Tummala RP, O’Fallon MT, Nagib MG: Posthemorrhagic Hydrocephalus in Prematurity and Extreme Prematurity: A Ten-Year Single Center Experience, AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurological Surgery Annual Meeting, New York, NY, December 2001
- Nussbaum ES, Tummala RP, Chu RM, Madison MT: Outcome Following Aneurysm Rupture During GDC Coiling, Joint Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Cerebrovascular Surgery and the ASITN, New Orleans, LA, February 2000
- Radding W, Williams JP, McKenna M, Tummala R, McDonald JM, Hunter E, Tytler EM: Calmodulin Binds p17 and Colocalizes with gag, Retroviruses Conference, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, May 1996.